Sunday, 24 January 2010

Blow-Up


Blow-Up is one of my all time favourite films. I have no doubt along with Mary Quant and Twiggy and Biba that this film lured me into the world of fashion. It certainly didn't make me want to be a model but I found the clothes fascinating and that particular world very interesting indeed.
There is something that has always bothered me about the film and that is Hemmings attitude towards the women . Some-one else summed this up very well...
"After watching the film twice over the last week, what I found much more shocking, than the sex and drug use--this is 2009 after all--was the disdain David Hemmings character had for the women in the film. Hemmings' photographer doesn't wear his dislike for the opposite sex lightly, it's evident from the get go. It's even all the more disturbing because he's clearly, at least sexually, attracted to the women he treats like mere objects. In some scenes, Antoninoi isn't afraid of riding that line between sex and violence. It's telling of where we were as a society when audiences of the 1960s noticed the nudity in the sequence with the two teenage girls, yet seemed to be blind to how Hemmings is treating them."
How times have changed and how women have changed, particularly in the way we allow men to treat us. I think I would have given David Hemmings a good slap these days even though at the time I accepted his behaviour and thought he was sexy..:)
However the mood of the film and the fashions definitely helped to create another image of the "Swinging Sixties".

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gina, This sounds like a very interesting movie...I'm not sure if I have ever seen it.???? I love the 'Swingin Sixties', style/era...I also can't wait to watch Tom Fords new movie, it looks fantastic.
    Hope all is well in gorgeous England
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tom Ford movie...the single Man... does look interesting. Being in the USA you may not have come across all the 60's British movies but they are worth watching. Blow-up is a classic...you'd like it :)
    Gorgeous England needs some sun...lol Hope the beautiful Paris house is all happy :) Your pics of the house are lovely. I love the four-poster :)
    Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...